Is it Christmas or is it capitalism?


The Holiday Season/ Flickr

Brooke Salamone

While Thanksgiving break is upon University students, many are using this time to prepare for the holiday season. The city streets have been dusted with snow, and the popular storefronts are now officially decorated for the holidays. With all the red and green decor, it seems that the fall season has a very short window of making an impression on University students. Some even prefer skipping the seasonal traditions all together.

Typically, American capitalism is known for going above and beyond in regards to celebrating and decorating for the winter season. The official start date has begun to creep closer to other American holidays, such as Thanksgiving. The driving force behind this expedited celebration can be attributed to major store chains as well as an eagerness for favorite holiday traditions.

Commercial stores like Target have had their shelves stocked with holiday decorations since before Halloween, and according to CBS NewsWalmart has begun holiday preparations as early as Aug. 28. While the decorations may not have been visible at the end of the summer, these commercial giants were ready to put a dent in shoppers’ wallets as early as August. Whether the population has grown more accustomed to decorating for the holidays three months early, or these chains have decided that getting a head start will increase their holiday profits, there is no denying that these festive touches have put the city in a jolly mood.

Target during the Holiday season
Target during the Holiday season

It’s not only retail companies who are taking advantage of the season of giving—Starbucks coffee launched their holiday drinks and cup art the day after Halloween. This reveal introduced new green initiatives, such as the reusable holiday cup, as well as everyone’s favorite festively-flavored drinks.

Even the University Starbucks location has joined the holiday bandwagon, pulling out the decorations and selling holiday favorites like Peppermint Mocha and Caramel Brulée as early as Nov. 3. While some students are thankful for a sign of the upcoming Winter break, others are not so approving of forgotten fall traditions.

“I honestly am not a fan of Starbucks bringing out the holiday stuff so early,” shares University sophomore Clarissa McElroy. “I don’t celebrate the holidays until December 1st. The fact that they started it weeks earlier than Thanksgiving is bizarre to me.”

Others look forward to the holiday season and the spirit that comes with it, “I honestly feel the holiday season begins after Halloween,” states University sophomore Kacey Riordan. “I start to get into the holiday spirit early, but my family starts really decorating for the holidays the day after Thanksgiving.”

The Pace Press conducted a Twitter poll asking students when they feel the holiday season officially begins. Out of 35 responses, 66 percent believe that the holiday season begins the day after Thanksgiving. The other 34 percent believe it begins November 1, the day after Halloween.

While opinions may differ on the start date of the holiday season, it is a time that students seem to enjoy. The argument may never be resolved, and the launch of next year’s holiday cup design might be on Labor Day, but nonetheless, the holidays are a time of joy and giving.