Campus COVID-19 alert level returns to green

Samantha Unger, Editor-in-Chief

The University announced that beginning March 5, the COVID-19 alert levels across all campuses will move back to green.

The alert level has been yellow since before the end of the fall semester, and this change reflects improvements in health conditions both on and off-campus.

In an email sent out to the University community, President Marvin Krislov explained that “test-positivity rates are now below one percent on all three campuses over the past 14 days,” which he called “excellent news” and “a real accomplishment.”

The primary change that students will note on campus is that “somewhat” larger gatherings will now be permitted, but they will still adhere to the same safety precautions in place.

According to President Krislov and Brian Anderson, director of Emergency Management and Environmental Health and Safety, indoor room capacities will now be capped at 25 percent, and outdoor gatherings are limited to 50 individuals.

A majority of the regulations implemented last semester will not change, however—visitors remain prohibited on campus, travel is still strongly discouraged and classes will continue in the usual mix of remote, HyFlex and in-person instruction formats.

Social distancing and the use of face coverings will also still be required, and the University’s community testing will continue to help maintain the green alert level.

“As we adjust the alert level, it is critical that we maintain our vigilance. While vaccines are here and their distribution is accelerating, it is likely to be several months before everyone in our community is able to be inoculated,” the email said.

“We will observe any and all public health guidelines, especially in response to new variants. We will also respond to any changes in positivity rates on our campuses or in our communities,” it continued.

The “COVID Dashboard” in the Return to Campus section of the University’s website features the available data across all campuses and is updated daily. To keep up with alert levels and what to expect from each, click here.