University updates for the Fall ’21 semester

Britni Dunn, Editor-in-Chief

After a year and a half of being online for classes, with some exceptions, the University is once again opening its doors for students to attend classes in-person. With such a stark change in the way the University will go about this semester, The Pace Press has compiled a list of what you need to know as the school year rapidly approaches this week. 

Many professors are offering students the choice to operate online or in-person, as COVID-19 continues to rage on and mutate rapidly. Displaying the drastic change in teaching modalities this semester In Spring 2021, there were 102 classes taught On-Campus; in Fall 2021, there will be 1088 On-Campus classes. In Spring 2021, 747 classes were taught online (Async and Synch).  Also in Spring 2021, there were 557 classes taught Web-Assisted and Hyflex (partially on-campus). In the Fall, 780 will be Web-Assisted and HyFlex.

The University has set up a Coronavirus Coordination Support Team that deals with contact tracing and COVID-19 testing. For questions regarding testing and COVID-19 issues, students can contact [email protected]. The University is requiring vaccinations for all students and faculty, allowing for some religious exemptions. Vaccinations should have already been posted to the University Health Center’s secure portal by Aug. 1 in order to be admitted onto campus. If not vaccinated, students will be required to take a COVID-19 when coming to campus.

The University was no longer requiring face covering, but with the surge of the DELTA variant, they put mandatory face coverings back in place. Masks will be required in all places indoors on campus, except while sitting down and eating in Cafe 101. The University announced this on their Instagram, which received many mixed comments. While many students felt safer with the requirement of masks, others went on the comment section to express their disdain in wearing a face covering. University senior Maeve Casey commented on the negative student reactions: “I was shocked by the comments on Pace’s post. It’s not typically the views you’d expect from a liberal arts college in New York City. As a high-risk person (and a person who cares about other people) I fully support pace’s decision for a mask mandate and will definitely feel more comfortable being back at school because of it. The fact that so many people hold dangerous views about a very deadly virus is very concerning though. I just hope people aren’t selfish and we can all stay healthy and safe.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Pace University (@paceuniversity)

Visitors will not be allowed in residence halls. The only people that can gain access to residence halls are members of the University community. There is a way to check-in guests online, however, if you submit a request early enough. No visitors will be allowed on campus unless already approved to attend a campus event. 

The University is holding many events to celebrate returning to campus. This will hopefully be a place where students can reconnect and see many new faces! Welcome Week this year will include many events including some that occur before school begins like DIY succulents and a “Pace and Sip” night on Sept. 7. There will also be a Welcome Back Party hosted by President Marvin Krislov and Provost Quiñones on Sept. 9 from 3:30- 5 P.M. in the One Pace Plaza Courtyard. The Center for Student Engagement, formerly SDACA, is hosting a Silent Disco on Sept. 9 at 7 P.M. Drag Queen Bingo with The LGBTQA+ Center will be back in person on Sept. 15. More information on the events occurring in September can be found on Setter Sync. 

View this post on Instagram

Students can find more information on the University Return to Campus website. The Pace Press is ecstatic to see students back on campus and hopes for everyone’s safety as in-person classes return.