Top ten winter watches

Credit: @disneyplus on Instagram

Mikayla Meachem, Staff Writer

The holidays are upon us, and with Christmas around the corner and the semester coming to an end, movie night is calling! As we wait for the first snow, here’s a list of holiday episodes and movies to get you in the festive mood. 

The Grinch 

Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch has returned in 3-D animated form voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch to ruin Christmas for Whoville yet again. On Prime Video, this classic story will put any grumpy student in the holiday spirit. 

A Bad Moms Christmas

A sequel to the 2016 movie “Bad Moms,” this follows three friends and the struggles of being a mom during the holidays. If picking out the right gifts for their kids was the hardest thing on the list, hosting the grandmas that are in town is the star on the tree! Streaming on Hulu, this comedy is sure to get a good laugh.

Black Mirror Season 2, Episode 4, “White Christmas”

This sci-fi thriller tells three tales of life in a dystopian society. In the future, a person behind computer software can be your eyes, helping you get a date, or chips can be placed in your mind to make copies of your consciousness. This is anything but a festive story, so if you’re looking for some holiday suspense and a jaw-dropping ending, you can find this thrilling episode of “Black Mirror” on Netflix. 

Gilmore Girls Season 2, Episode 10, “The Bracebridge Dinner”

Nothing screams holidays in a small town other than a Renaissance-style dinner party and drama. Lorelai and Sookie host their first annual, and probably never to be held again, Bracebridge Dinner for the town of Stars Hollow and Lorelai’s parents at Independence Inn. If you’re looking for a feel-good watch, “Gilmore Girls” is your show.

Modern Family Season 3 Episode 10 “Express Christmas”

When the family finds out, they have separate plans for Christmas, everyone pairs up on a mission to throw together an early Christmas celebration. With their assignments curated by Phil, they are on the move for the necessities. Although their early Christmas was a complete disaster, it brought the family even closer. This easy watch is on Hulu and Peacock, with many more holiday episodes, including “The Last Christmas” the family spends together. 

The Best Man Holiday

It’s been 15 long years since this group of college friends has last all been together, and what better time to reunite than over the holidays? These friends find that no amount of time apart will get rid of rivalries or an old crush. Starring Morris Chestnut, Taye Diggs, Regina Hall, Terrence Howard, Sanaa Lathan, Nia Long, Harold Perrineau, and Monica Calhoun, this movie is on Hulu and Prime Video has just the right amount of romance, tears and comedy. 

The Polar Express 

Doubting the existence of Santa Claus on Christmas Eve, a young boy finds a train with other children headed to the North Pole. With a cup of hot chocolate, he is taken on a journey of believing. This childhood classic is on Prime Video and HBO Max. 

Elf

Santa winds up with a gift of his own when a baby sneaks into his gift sack that gets transported to the North Pole. Thirty years later, Buddy the Elf, discovers he’s not like the rest of the elves, and in search of finding his birth father, he ends up in the concrete jungle. This family favorite starring Will Ferrell is on HBO Max.

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Jack Skellington, the Pumpkin King, has discovered Christmas Town! After seeing “children throwing snowballs, instead of throwing heads,” Skellington plans to bring Christmas to Halloween Town (and to Disney+) in this Tim Burton feature. This visual masterpiece deserves a spot on a Christmas watchlist with a great soundtrack and animation.

Home Alone: Lost In New York

Kevin McCallister, played by a young Macaulay Culkin, finds himself stranded in the Big Apple again! The Wet Bandits are still no match for Kevin, no matter the setting and no Christmas watchlist would be complete with this classic. All three “Home Alone” movies are on HBO Max and Disney+ if you’re in for a binge.