Live performances to view in spring 2022

Credit: @irvingplaza on Instagram

Ava Capiel, Staff Writer

As March begins, the music of spring echoes through New York at concert venues around the city. Whether you enjoy bands, Broadway, or even basketball there is entertainment for everyone just a short train ride away from the University.

Radio City Music Hall was built in the 1930s, with an Art-Deco interior seating around 5,960 people. It is home to the Rockettes in the winter and the Tony Awards in the summer.

This spring, artists such as Conan Gray (March 16), Mitski (March 24), Josh Groban (April 7-9), Lorde (April 18-19) and Olivia Rodrigo (April 26) will perform there. Madison Square Garden, an indoor arena built in the 1960s, will host artists such as Dua Lipa (Mar 1) and Tyler the Creator (March 13-14), as well as the New York Rangers and the Knicks in March and April.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Tyler, The Creator (@feliciathegoat)

Barclays Center, another indoor arena built in 2010, will also host a mix of music and sports events. It will host the ACC Basketball Tournament (March 8-12), the Knicks (March 13), Tame Impala (March 14-15), and Bad Bunny (March 19-20).

However, if arena-style concerts don’t strike your fancy, classier venues such as Webster Hall, a nightclub built in the 1880s, and Irving Plaza, a ballroom-style venue opened in the 1970s, will host more niche artists such as Tate Mcrae (Irving Plaza, March 30-31) and Ashe (Webster Hall, April 25-26).

For students wanting to venture out of Manhattan, Brooklyn Steel and the Music Hall of Williamsburg are hosting affordable, niche concerts in the coming months. Both venues were built after 2000 and are intimate, modern spaces with general admission tickets. Tickets are available on their websites and prices range between $20-$50 depending on the artist.

For theater enthusiasts, Broadway is offering rush and/or lottery tickets for the majority of musicals and plays this season. A full list of how to enter lotteries or rush can be found on the Playbill website. The University also offers discounted Broadway musicals monthly, so keep your eyes peeled for new offers on the website.

A highlight of this season is a revival of Funny Girl, coming to the August Wilson Theatre on March 26. This will be the first revival of this renowned musical in 58 years, with Beanie Feldstein (known for her roles in Booksmart and Ladybird) playing Fanny Brice, a character originated by the legendary Barbara Streisand. Furthermore, the popular musical Beetlejuice, which closed at the start of the pandemic, will reopen at the Marquis Theatre on April 8, once again starring Alex Brightman.

Though there are many talented and famous performers uptown, the University is home to performers of the next generation. Tickets for this year’s mainstage productions “The Wolves” and “If/Then” go on sale in March. “The Wolves” will be livestreamed with performances from March 29 to April 3. “If/Then” will be in the Schimmel Center with performance dates from April 7 through 9. Commercial Dance’s production “Dance Out Loud” will have ticket sales in April with performance dates from April 29 to May 1.

There are hundreds of other types of shows within the city. The Greenwich Village Comedy Club hosts hilarious performances in a cozy underground space. Tickets usually range from $10-$25. Bowery Poetry Club holds free spoken word, music, and art performances in its small, but intricately decorated, interior. The beautiful Lincoln Center, built in the 1950s, is home to the New York Philharmonic, the Metropolitan Opera and the New York City Ballet. The equally gorgeous Carnegie Hall, built in the 1890s in the Neo-Renaissance style, will hold orchestras such as the Boston Symphony Orchestra (March 14-15) and the American Symphony Orchestra (March 24).

So get out of your tiny apartment or dorm, buy a Metrocard or catch a taxi and go see a show!