SUNY Orange County Community College x Pace University

Credit: @paceuniversity on Instagram

Mandi Karpo, Secretary

On March 28, The University formally announced that they will be partnering with the State University of New York (SUNY), Orange County Community College in a joint articulation agreement that provides a seamless segway for SUNY Orange graduates to transfer to the University, remaining on track to earn their bachelor’s degree in four years.

The agreement instantiates a promise on the University’s behalf that eligible SUNY Orange graduates who have completed their associate’s degree with a minimum 2.5-grade point average (GPA) will be provided “guaranteed admission with junior standing,” according to the University’s press release. The student must also enroll full-time in one out of 18 of the University’s bachelor’s degree programs, with over 150 major options to choose from within five undergraduate schools: Dyson College of Arts and Sciences, Lubin School of Business, College of Health Professions, School of Education and Seidenberg School of Computer Science and Information Systems. 

SUNY Orange has two main campuses in Middletown and Newburgh, NY, and according to its website, and the College currently offers three types of associate degree programs that take two years to complete: Associate in Arts (A.A), Associate in Science (A.S) and Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S). The A.A. and A.S. degree programs are designed for students who plan on transferring to a four-year institution, such as the University, while A.A.S degrees are meant to provide a fundamental college education “with emphasis on developing technical and professional competence for entry” into their desired career field, reads their website. 

University students are required to earn a minimum of 128 credits to receive their bachelor’s degree, and the transfer agreement instantiates the University will apply up to 68 transfer credits towards College graduates’ completion. Those who have graduated from the College with an A.A. or A.S. degree are “deemed to have met Pace’s basic general education/core requirements,” according to the University. For A.A. graduates, students are not required to enroll in additional general education or core courses, however, A.S. graduates may be expected to complete such required courses at the University. 

President Marvin Krislov is looking forward to their partnership as it “will allow us to help Orange County students achieve their dreams, and it will deepen the relationship between our two institutions. We are eager and excited to continue providing all our students with opportunities to succeed,” he shared. 

Dr. Kirtin Young, SUNY Orange’s President expressed her excitement to be in collaboration with the University and is elated “about the opportunity this expansive arrangement offers SUNY Orange students and graduates.” 

“Students can begin or reinvigorate their college career here at SUNY Orange, earn an associate’s degree with us, transfer to Pace with junior status and continue their studies at a high-quality four-year university close to Orange County. This is just another example of the extraordinary access and affordability we can create in higher education when institutions build partnerships that serve the best interests of students.”

The University is looking forward to welcoming transfer students with open arms and continuing to grow the student body with more inclusivity, encouraging different New York communities to embrace “Opportunitas.”