74th Emmy Awards recap: ‘Ted Lasso’ scores big and ‘Squid Game’ makes history

%40hwangdonghyukdirectoron+Instagram

@hwangdonghyukdirectoron Instagram

Jaeden Pinder, Executive Editor

The 2022 Emmy Awards ceremony honoring this last year’s achievements in television occurred on Sept. 12, hosted by Kenan Thompson. Despite early technical difficulties, the award show made many of its own achievements in honoring shows like “Abbott Elementary” and “Squid Game.”

Leading the pack with 12 nominations, “Succession” received three awards, including Outstanding Drama Series, Writing for a Drama Series and Supporting Actor for Matthew MacFadyen.

Mirroring last year’s ceremony, the Apple TV+ series “Ted Lasso” took home four awards for Outstanding Comedy Series, Directing for a Comedy Series, Lead Actor for Jason Sudeikis and Supporting Actor for Brett Goldstein.

“The White Lotus” dominated the night, receiving five awards including Outstanding Limited Series. Mike White, the creator of the satirical anthology, also received awards for Outstanding Writing and Directing for a Limited Series and paid homage to his run on “Survivor” in his thank you speech: “Now I feel like I’ve raised my threat level…Awards are great, I love writing, I love doing what I do — don’t come for me. Don’t vote me off the island, please!”

Actors Murray Bartlett and Jennifer Coolidge also received Emmys for their supporting performances on the HBO show.

While elated for Coolidge’s win, Psychology student Benji Mateo was displeased with the discordant speech times for her and the other winners of the night. 

“The Academy will be dealt with holy fire for rushing Jennifer Coolidge off the stage after being in the industry for nearly two decades and finally getting recognized for her performance. In true Coolidge fashion, she took that moment of being rushed out and made it her own by serving us a comedic dance, which made me love her even more.”

Mateo continued, “Whether the timing was off during the whole program or they gave those with bigger fame more time, it seems disappointing to take away some actors’ glory and recognition like that.”

“Squid Game” received two awards during the ceremony for Directing for a Drama Series for Hwang Dong-hyuk and Lead Actor in a Drama Series for Lee Jung-jae, being the first non-English series to receive these honors at an Emmy ceremony. 

Dong-hyuk expressed his gratitude to the audience and fans of “Squid Game” and said, “I don’t think I made history by myself, because it was you who opened up the door for ‘Squid Game.”

“We all made history together and I truly hope ‘Squid Game’ won’t be the last non-English series to be here at the Emmy’s.” He alluded that he plans to return to the ceremony again with the second season of the acclaimed Korean series.

Actresses Jean Smart and Zendaya won their second Emmys for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy and Drama Series, for “Hacks” and “Euphoria,” respectively.

In one of the most triumphant moments of the night, Sheryl Lee Ralph received her first Emmy for Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for “Abbott Elementary.” 

After an emotional rendition of Dianna Reeves’s song “Endangered Species,” the Dreamgirl said, “To anyone who has ever, ever had a dream and thought your dream wasn’t, wouldn’t, couldn’t come true, I am here to tell you that this is what believing looks like.” Quinta Brunson later won the Emmy for Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series for the ABC sitcom.

Singer-songwriter Lizzo received her first Emmy for Outstanding Competition Program for her series “Lizzo’s Watch Out for the Big Grrrls,” which, in turn, ended the four-year reign of “RuPaul’s Drag Race” in that category.

“When I was a little girl, all I wanted to see was me in the media. Someone fat like me, black like me, beautiful like me. This is for my big girls.” Lizzo said in her moving speech.

Following the singer’s win, The Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media was awarded the 2022 Governor’s Award for its achievement in promoting gender-inclusive media.

Earlier last week, the Creative Arts Emmys were held on Sept. 3 and 4, which awarded technical pursuits within television. “Stranger Things 4” received a total of five awards, including Outstanding Music Supervision for “Chapter Four: Dear Billy,” which featured Kate Bush’s song “Running Up That Hill (A Deal with God).” 

RuPaul Charles received an award for Outstanding Host for a Reality or Competition Program for their work on “RuPaul’s Drag Race,” his seventh hosting Emmy overall.

Other notable Creative Arts wins included Lee Yoo-mi receiving Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series for her portrayal of Ji-yeong in “Squid Game” and former President Barack Obama being awarded Outstanding Narrator for his work in “Our Great National Parks.”

The In Memoriam segment, performed by John Legend, honored individuals in the broadcast industry lost in the last year, including actors Tony Sirico, Paul Sorvino and Ray Liotta, actress Betty White, comedians Gilbert Gottfried and Bob Saget, performer Sidney Poitier and CNN anchorman Bernard Shaw. 

A complete list of awards can be viewed here. The 75th Primetime Emmy Awards will occur next fall, with the date to be announced.