Weeks of Welcome spotlight: brunch with the queens

Graphic by Mikayla Meachem

Katherine Pappas, Contributor

Presence, power and vulnerability are what Ivory Snow and Inita D displayed during the Sunday Drag Queen Brunch on Sept. 18, where University students gathered in the Student Center of One Pace Plaza for this Weeks of Welcome (W.o.W.) event. Together, students shared a breakfast meal while watching and participating in an early afternoon drag performance. 

To begin the show, Ivory Snow and Inita D lip-synched to their favorite “girl boss” anthems, some of which included “This Is Me” from “The Greatest Showman,” “S&M” by Rihanna and “Heart of Stone” from “SIX.” Both queens spoke about the importance of love, tolerance and acceptance that this world desperately needs. They expressed the significance of taking care of your mental health and attending to your needs. 

“It’s okay to not be okay, but it’s not okay to stay that way,” Inita D stated.

Following their speeches, the queens hosted a competition where a group of selected students got to lip sync to Lady Gaga’s “Judas.” The room was full of shouts, claps and laughter as they cheered on their fellow classmates. The two well-deserved winners of the competition, Bry and Amanda, won University hoodies and a Setter plush doll.

“I really love attending these W.o.W. events,” freshman Glerrys Flores expressed. “It’s such a great way to be able to have fun and meet new people.”

The Pace Press had the pleasure of speaking to the queens during the Q&A portion of the event. When asked to share what performing means to them, Ivory Snow professed, “Drag is such a freeing experience to embrace my femininity and my love for performing.”

“I am blessed enough to have a platform to acknowledge important topics, such as mental health awareness, suicide prevention and gender identification,” Inita D voiced. “Drag has given me the opportunity to connect with people.”

She continued, “Performing here at the University has been a full-circle moment for me since I am an alumnus that graduated in 2013.”

If you are interested in following the lives of these fabulous ladies, be sure to check out their Instagram pages @theinitad and @theivorysnow.

Be sure to sign up for other W.o.W. events happening throughout the month of September. Whichever event you decide to attend this month, don’t be afraid to put yourself out there, have fun and make new friends!