Ukrainian-made missile killed two in Poland, war enters new territory

Image sourced from cnbc.com

Alex Muniz, Staff Writer

A rogue missile landed in the village of Przewodow in Poland near the border of Ukraine on Nov. 15. Two people, Bogusław Wos and Bogdan Ciupek, were killed in the explosion, as reported by Polish media. Initially, the attack was reported as two stray rockets falling into the village until later reports indicated there was only one missile present during the attack.

The event took place during Russia’s largest missile attack on Ukraine since the beginning of the war, and officials were quick to assume the stray missile was a result of Russia’s siege. However, assessments made by foreign powers discovered the missile was likely fired by Ukraine in defense of Russia’s attacks.

The incident sparked an emergency meeting in Brussels, Belgium, where U.S. military ambassadors and NATO officials discussed the possibility of the war between Russia and Ukraine spilling into neighboring countries. Both parties concluded the attack was most likely an accident as Ukraine continues to defend itself from Russia’s assault.

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg issued a statement in which he said he did not blame Ukraine for the explosion in Poland. “Our preliminary analysis suggests that the incident was likely caused by the Ukrainian air defense missile fired to defend Ukrainian territory against Russian cruise missile attacks,” Stoltenberg stated. “But let me be clear, this is not Ukraine’s fault. Russia bears ultimate responsibility as it continues its illegal war against Ukraine.”

Poland President Andrzej Duda announced on Twitter on Nov. 16 that the missile was in fact a Russian-made S-300 rocket and was accidentally mishandled by Ukrainian defenses, for which he does not blame Ukraine. The Ukrainian military has told the United States and its allies that its defenses are meant to obstruct a Russian missile within the same timeframe and area of the exploration in Poland. Officials have not stated whether this obstruction is the same missile that landed in Poland. With this information and the assessments made by NATO, Poland, and the United States, a full investigation has been set in motion uncovering the specific details of the rogue missile.

Despite forgiveness from NATO and Poland, Ukraine does not accept the missile coming from its defenses. Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy announced on Ukrainian television his nation’s right to be included in the investigation of the missile incident, questioning, “Is it possible not to announce the final conclusions until the investigation is completed? I think it is fair. If someone says that this is our rocket, should we be in a joint investigative group? I think we should, it is only fair.”

When asked if Ukraine should be allowed entry into the investigation, Poland’s President Andrzej Duda announced to reporters “the proceedings are conducted by Polish and American experts and if anyone was to be allowed to take part in these proceedings both parties would have to agree.”

Apart from the investigation, Germany has offered Poland the Patriot missile defense system to help them guard their airspace. At a ceremony for new recruits in the German Ministry of Defense in Berlin, Defense Minister Christine Lambrecht announced “We have offered Poland support in securing airspace—with our Eurofighters and with Patriot air defense systems,” to journalists at the Rheinische Post.

A senior Political Science major stated “This is all getting to a point where civilians in countries who aren’t even involved in this war are suffering from Russia’s attacks. This will only lead to more civilian casualties across Eastern Europe.”

With the missile attack sparking global concern for the war to expand further into Europe, University students have started weighing in on the dire consequences this will have for civilians.