The Internet is obsessed over celebrity feuds

@selenagomez and @haileybieber on Instagram

Carla Paz, Staff Writer

The internet is invested in a new celebrity feud these past few weeks: Selena Gomez vs. Justin Bieber’s wife, Hailey Bieber. The decade-long feud was reignited over the past week after TikTok users claimed that Bieber and close friend Kylie Jenner shamed Gomez after posting a bikini photo during her vacation and a video commenting on her eyebrows. Since then, many on the internet have decided to defend Gomez, calling themselves “Team Selena,” and began to look more into Hailey Bieber’s past.

The supposed feud between Bieber and Gomez started in 2013. Tabloids and gossip columns fueled the rivalry. Rumors of the feud began around 2013 when Justin Bieber was first seen hanging out with Hailey Baldwin and her friends Kylie and Kendall Jenner. During this time, Bieber was in an on-and-off relationship with Gomez, and during their breaks, he would go out with other women, one of which was Baldwin. In a tweet, Baldwin seemingly shaded Gomez when she said she did not like her new song. Many fans once again attacked her, which led her to take to Twitter, writing, “And to the people calling me immature, I think immature is taking the time to learn a dance to diss someone and posting it on the internet,” referring to a video in which Gomez danced to “Everybody Knows” by Dustin Tavella. 

From 2015 to 2016, Justin Bieber and his now-wife were officially announced to be in a relationship. During this time, she liked a tweet about Gomez, “RT for HOT, Like for NOT,” which again sent fans into a frenzy. After this, the couple broke up, and Justin Bieber started dating model Sofia Richie. After being on a break for a few years, Gomez and Bieber got together again in 2018 but broke up for the final time after a few months that March. The Biebers began dating and got engaged in July of that year. Two months later, they got married at a New York City courthouse. 

From 2018 to now, they have seemingly squashed the beef, but Jelena fans have not stopped sending Bieber hate. At last year’s Met Gala, fans of Gomez shouted “Selena!” as the married couple posed for photos. 

The drama was reinvigorated after Hailey Bieber posted a TikTok in which she, Kendall Jenner and Justine Skye lip-synced to an audio that said “I’m not saying she deserves it, but God’s timing is always right.” TikTok users speculated that she was referencing the body shaming comments that Gomez was getting after posting a bikini photo while on vacation. After that, many once again suspected that Bieber and her celebrity friends were bullying Gomez because they posted close-up eyebrow photos after Gomez talked about her over-laminated brow mistake.

In a TikTok discussing the situation, Kylie Jenner and Gomez both commented that the drama is unnecessary and being taken out of context. Because of this, clips of Bieber’s shady moments resurfaced on TikTok, one of which was a clip of her pretending to gag when Taylor Swift, Gomez’s best friend, was mentioned. Gomez commented, “So sorry my best friend is and continues to be one of the best in the game.”  As people began to dig into Bieber’s past, tweets and clips were found of her fangirling over the singer before she was friends with him, which started the theory that she was obsessed with Justin Bieber, and because of that, she is jealous of Gomez. Bieber and Gomez have both since announced a break from social media. The former has only returned to wish her husband a happy birthday

The recent feud between the two has sparked a discussion online about the internet’s obsession with celebrity feuds. Because of all this drama, the internet and the media have attacked Bieber and her character to lift Gomez. However, this accomplishes nothing. Both parties have decided to take social media breaks because of how bad the drama has gotten. Gomez has had to speak up, telling people to stop taking things out of context. Bieber has indeed had a past with shading Gomez and her friends, but it’s important to note that Gomez has also come after her ex’s girlfriends. Both of them have done wrong things in the past, but this was almost seven years ago. Both have better things to do than focus on an old rivalry primarily fueled by tabloids. 

In response to the recent drama, freshman and longtime Justin Bieber fan Suhani Singh said, “To be honest, there’s a lot of bias here. Lots of people have been labeling Hailey as a ‘mean girl,’ and Gomez has done an equivalent amount of things to be labeled [with] the same title. I’m not dismissing what Hailey’s said and done, but the other party should be held just as accountable. I genuinely don’t think people care, the only thing the public eye cares about is tearing down images and feeding on gossip and drama. In my opinion, this Hailey, Gomez [and] Justin drama needs to die already.”

At the end of the day, this feud is something that the internet will cling to for the next couple of weeks before it dies out and is forgotten. The internet will always do what it loves to do, which is gossip.