Which dorm building is for you?

Projected visual of 15 Beekman / @paceuniversity on Instagram

Savannah Ford, Contributor

Dorm life is an assured immersive experience of college life; the first dip into the eternal void of independence and adulthood. For many, a dorm room provides the first encounter of life without parental or guardian figures conveniently near at all times for guidance, support and maintenance of living conditions. As time progresses, living on campus within a residence hall offers a trial run for adapting to self-sufficiency and growing proficient in tasks demanded by inevitable adulthood. Dorm buildings serve as a home, a place to foster relationships within the University community, as well as a space to study, exercise, complete chores, sleep, relax and eat. Along with the basic requirements needed to sustain a comfortable living habitat, each dorm building at the University has its quirks and quandaries. 

According to University enrollment statistics recorded in 2019, 38 percent of full-time undergraduate students on the New York City campus reside in University housing. The four residence halls at the University currently occupied are Maria’s Tower, 55 John St., 182 Broadway and 33 Beekman. Beginning in the upcoming fall semester, the University will take Maria’s Tower offline for refurbishment and subsequently unveil 15 Beekman, which contains a new residence hall and will be the home to approximately 460 first-year students. The building will offer predominantly double and triple occupancy rooms in suite configurations, with varying size opportunities. 15 Beekman will render sizable suite-style living, each enabling a capacity between five and 11 students, complete with a communal gathering space comparable to a living room.

As for the presiding housing operations offered at the University, varying amenities and locations contribute to skewed opinions on the comfort, convenience and atmospheric experience residing within each.

Maria’s Tower

Located on floors seven through 16 of One Pace Plaza, Maria’s Tower houses approximately 480 (mostly) freshman students in the University’s main building, which also encapsulates the library, gym, dining facilities and numerous classrooms. Respectively, the rooms provide double occupancy, with each floor having two to three study lounges, every other floor having a kitchenette and a laundry room operating on the 17th floor. The downsides to Maria’s include that a fridge and microwave must be rented or provided personally and restrooms are communal, with four being shared per floor. Depending on an individual’s perspective, an extreme lack of separation from school and personal life based on proximity can be one of the biggest cons to Maria’s. Positives from residing in this hall include potential sweeping views of the Brooklyn Bridge, a socially enhanced environment ideal for the first-year experience and again, depending on individual outlook, convenience and accessibility to the University campus. 

182 Broadway

182 Broadway is another University residence hall made up of predominantly freshmen, housing about 600 students and less than a 10-minute walk from the main campus. Residents reside on floors five through 23 of this building. Each double, triple and quad room is accompanied by a personal ensuite restroom, a micro-fridge unit and microwave. Located on the corner of Broadway and John St., this residence hall was added to the University in 2013 and imparts a laundry room, student lounge, study room, kitchen and fitness center on the fourth floor of the building. The disadvantages to this building are its remoteness from the rest of campus (including those that bear the dining hall and classrooms), as it is the furthest residence hall offered by the University.

Perks of residence at 182 Broadway are undoubtedly its amenities located on the fourth floor (including a gym), relatively new furnishings and sizable rooms, some of which display views of the Freedom Tower and World Trade Center. 

55 John St.

55 John St. houses residents on floors two through 17, located a few blocks from One Pace Plaza. Students share a lobby lounge-space, a full kitchen, laundry facilities and a gym. Rooms offer double and triple occupancies, including private bathrooms, a full-size refrigerator, a microwave and a small television. Drawbacks of residence within 55 John St. include lack of natural sunlight exposure due to surrounding obstructions, distance from the rest of the University and the basement locations of the fitness and laundry facilities. Advantages of John St. pertain to the sky lounge and study areas located up a stairwell from the 17th floor, accessibility of kitchen spaces on the second floor and adjacent to the sky lounge, as well as the privacy of personal restrooms in each room. 

University student Cliona Pasek said “I dormed at 55 John St. my freshman year, but I thought it was one of the better dorms I stayed in at the University. I loved how close it was to the [campus], the gym that was available and the laundromat. Of course, it was during the summer, so it was a lot more quiet and clean.” 

33 Beekman

Lastly, 33 Beekman is located one block south of the University’s One Pace Plaza and stands 34 stories high, earning it the title of the tallest residence hall in the world, according to the University’s website. This building offers single, double, triple and quad occupancy rooms, with a private restroom per unit or suite, one provided micro-fridge, microwave and a second floor with various amenities. On the second floor, these amenities include a laundry facility, fitness center and study spaces. The downsides of this residence hall constitute the notoriously temperamental elevators, and the sheer volume of students (upwards of 700 residents) who inhabit it, creating immense traffic during common hours. Assets of this building include striking views of the city, its advantageous positioning as a center point in the city campus and the amiable lounges offered alongside various amenities.

The University’s disparate offerings of residence halls foster several unique experiences, provoking certain incidents and inconveniences while also delivering comfort and amenities. Individual preferences and circumstances will dictate overall perception and contentment with each of the University’s housing options, but infamous characteristics have gained each building notoriety among University students.