Five small businesses to support this holiday season

@nosebestcandles_ on Instagram

Lydia Lutchman, Staff Writer

Finding the best gift for someone can sometimes be difficult, especially if you are not aware of the stores and options you have available to you. As the semester comes to an end and winter break approaches, the time for holiday shopping draws nearer and nearer. To help you out with your perfect gift-giving plan, The Pace Press presents you with five of the best small business shops that are based in New York City!

Nose Best 

This LGBTQ+, POC and woman-led candle shop pride itself on reducing its carbon footprint and waste output, as well as providing an enjoyable experience for their consumer. Cristian Abbrancati, a University alumni and co-founder of Nose Best Candles, explained that the business was born during the pandemic and opened two years later in Bushwick. “At Nose Best, we remix your senses with every candle by providing a curated Spotify playlist and cocktail recipe to get the party started,” Abbrancati continued. “We carry cheeky candles, an astrology line, teas, crystals and Palo Santo from Ecuador.” These candles and fragrances are handcrafted with love and appreciation for the little things in life but are sure to make a difference in someone’s nose and provide a much-needed laugh during the stressful finals season.

SallyeAnder

The holiday markets are coming back in full force, and one of the best ones to visit is Bryant Park’s Winter Village in Midtown, Manhattan. The area is beautifully decorated and filled with fun activities like ice skating, delicious eats and handmade crafts and jewelry. One of the featured shops there is SallyeAnder, a soap shop that focuses on creating natural skincare products for sensitive skin. The store stocks lip balm, body creams and bug repellent, along with other wellness products that are sure to delight any beauty lovers in your life!

Yu & Me Books 

Opened in December 2021, this shop is the first Asian-American woman-owned bookstore in Chinatown. The owner and creator, Lucy Yu, raised by her Chinese immigrant mother, found herself interested in books, specifically those written by POC and immigrants, but had few available options in the places she would visit. She decided to change this herself, opening her own bookstore consisting of fiction, non-fiction, poetry and graphic novels written by the same people who she, and many others, related to. There are also various selections of local artwork for sale. This adorable and quaint bookshop is perfect for that bibliophile and art lover you know and appreciate.

Goods for the Study 

This stationary store in Greenwich Village provides chic office and school supplies for your loved ones who like to be both organized and aesthetically pleasing. The shop also sells desk lamps and accessories that enhance one’s tabling area of work, especially if they are working or doing classes remotely and do not want to strain their eyes with a bland setup. Great for adding class and personality to your studies, the shop also contains beautiful pens, as well as gorgeous leather-style journals to plan out your month! Since it is the holiday season, they also have local and handcrafted Christmas ornaments to brighten up one’s space. 

Fishs Eddy 

Since 1986, this small business in the Flatiron District has been providing kitchenware to New Yorkers in the neighborhood. Their utensils and plates are handcrafted and based on popular themes and areas around the city. The funny catchphrases and designs are enticing to a collector, and the high quality and vintage pieces provide an appeal that makes the pieces both practical and convenient. For a friend who prefers a more stylish look, the shop also makes tote bags for everyday outside use, a popular one displaying the Brooklyn Bridge in the background and a chimney with a smoke cloud spouting out of it with “Brooklyn” written in fancy cursive.